Member Sign In

Member Sign In

Balboa Yacht Club

front of club

Corona Del Mar, Cali.

Founded 1922

CLUB HISTORY

In 1922, when Newport Harbor was more shoals and sandbars than open water, the Southland Sailing Club, soon renamed the Balboa Yacht Club, was formed by a small group of sailors wanting an active organization with an emphasis on family sailing. From its beginnings in a small wooden structure on open, sandy Balboa Peninsula, BYC has evolved to become one of southern California's most prestigious yachting organizations. In 1926 the Club moved to a new clubhouse on the southeast corner of Little Balboa Island, a stone's throw from its present location on Bayside Drive. Over the fireplace hung a burnished wood plaque bearing the Club's motto, "A pound of pluck is worth a ton of luck." Originally donated by the first commodore, Isaac B. Potter, the plaque hangs today over the present Club's dining room fireplace. The Newport Harbor of the past began to change as dredging began in 1935, and the following year the harbor we know today was officially opened for navigation. Balboa Yacht Club, with it's prime location near the harbor entrance, now had a convenient, protected anchorage for its growing fleet. Today the Balboa Yacht Club is still among the leaders in yachting and still true to its tradition of family

ABOUT THE TEAM

SKIPPER - Ryan Davidson

TACTICAN - Peter Fallon

CREW - Megan Kenney 

CREW - Gregg Kent 

LIBRARY & COLLECTIONS