NYYC Wins 2009 Invitational Cup
The crew of Arethusa, Phil Lotz's NYYC entry, celebrate their victory. Dan Nerney photos.
Newport, R.I., USA (Sept. 19, 2009) – No one knew quite what to expect, even though a year and a half of planning went into getting 19 teams from 14 nations to Newport, R.I., for the inaugural New York Yacht Club Invitational Cup. The event, which started on Wednesday (Sept. 16) , and concluded today (Saturday, Sept. 19), was conceived and very well received as a high-profile regatta for amateur yacht club teams.To that end, the New York Yacht Club put forth its best effort not only to host the event but also to field its own team, which won after 11 spectacular races on Rhode Island Sound and Narragansett Bay.
NYYC Swan 42 Yacht Name, Yacht Club Representing (Country), Skipper, Race Finishes, Total points
1. Arethusa, New York Yacht Club (USA), Phil Lotz, 2-4-2-8-6-3-1-10-3-3-2, 44
2. Daring, Royal Canadian Yacht Club (CAN), Terry McLaughlin, 1-3-5-1-14-5-10-5-8-2-1, 55
3. Downhill Express, Japan Sailing Federation (JPN), Makoto Uematsu, 7.2-16-3-6-10-2-5-6-4-4-10, 70
4. Better Than, Nylandska Jaktklubben (FIN), Leonardo Ferragamo, 7.2-14-10-4-4-19-6-2-5-1-7-79.2
5. Blazer, Royal Cork Yacht Club (IRL), Anthony O'Leary, 3-1-1-13-7-17-2-4-17-11-4, 80.
6. Tiburon, Royal Bermuda Yacht Club (BER), Mark Watson, 5 -5-6-16-8-4-3-13-14-12-9,95
7. Interlodge, St. Francis Yacht Club (USA), Craig Healy, 12-11-11-2-2-1-7-11-7-15-20, 99
8. Conspiracy, Royal Danish Yacht Club (DEN), Marie Klok Crump, 16-2-18-3-12-16-9-3-10-9-5, 103
9. Celeritas, Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron (NZL), John Melville, 11-17-15-5-1-6-16-9-13-8-3, 104
10. The Cat Came Back, Royal Ocean Racing Club (GBR), David Aisher, 15-8-4-11-14-10-4-7-15-7-11, 106
11. Impetuous, Royal Hong Kong Yacht Club (CHN), Jamie McWilliam, 17-12-14-7-5-8-8-19-2-10-13, 115
12. Bandit, Royal St. George Yacht Club (IRL), Michael Cotter, 7-8-16-9-20-11-13-1-9-18-8, 120
13. Mustang ,Royal Thames Yacht Club (GBR), John Greenland, 8 -9-7-15-11-9-15-12-11-13-13, 123
14. Quintessence, Real Club Nautico de Barcelona (ESP), Jordi Tarré, 9-6-12-10-15-14-14-14-16-17-6, 133
15. Orbit, Norddeutscher Regatta Verein (GER), Achim Griese, 6-18-9-18-20-15-19-15-1-5-14, 140
16. Apparition, Royal Yacht Squadron (GBR), Oscar Strugstad, 13-10-13-14-16-12-17-18-12-6-16, 147
17. Hoss, Yacht Club de France (FRA), Bruno Trouble, 10-20-8-17-9-7-11-17-18-16-15, 148
18. Mutiny, Yacht Club Italiano (ITA), Carlo Alessandro Puri Negri, 13.2-15-17-20-3-18-18-8-6-15-20, 154
19. Barleycorn, Yacht Club Costa Smeralda (ITA), Vittorio Codecasa, 14-13-20-12-20-13-12-16-19-20-20, 179